The Book Circles




 can say I have been privileged, destined or simply manifested it by wanting it. Reality is, I have made conscious attempts to be part of book clubs from time to time in every place I have lived in the past 10 years. It’s something that I instinctively incline to and has built my sacred group of friends and fellow readers. 


I once asked my husband to join a club with me, and his answer was - I like to read books not talk about them. And I seemed to like both so book clubs have been a need naturally. 


It started with - 




Bandra book club

Named after a posh Mumbai locality this one seemed impressive enough to attract Bombay elite readers to come vine and dine, while having eclectic conversations about books. Hosted by a semi socialite she carried certain standards. I lived in the suburbs and going there once a month was a big trip but anything for some good book conversations.  People were warm and welcoming, but I didn’t have the literary backgrounds or artist professions like them. Soon I let the outsider syndrome take over disguised as an excuse of too far a distance and stopped going. Or did I self sabotage myself into not being welcomed again. Either way, it wouldn’t last. Read more here: 




Kalpataru book club 

But the search for the book club continued. I put an advertisement on the notice board of my society for fellow book lovers. Soon we built a nice one with mostly women. There were two men initially who loved reading  enough to join us. Eventually it become an all woman club and we chose to call ourselves Book Divas. We talked about books, politics , psychology, motherhood, mother in laws, maids, feminism and society. It ticked all the check boxes of what a woman wants, forming a great comraderie of women of all ages and personalities bonding over books. We have moved around since and don’t talk about books but sometimes the WhatsApp group comes alive on what’s our current read or mood. 





Prestige book club 

Now I live in Bengaluru and this city is truly a city of readers. We have a group of about 20 women that comes together every month. One member gives options and a book is chosen by popular votes, then we all read and gather to discuss. I love our bookish conversations underlined with experiences and opinions by, for and of women and society. Although non fiction comes up as book of the month sometimes, which is when I read my other books and attend the session only for the lovely conversations. 


Wherever life takes me, a book club is a place to find fellow group of women readers who love stories. Now thats what I call,  my vibe, and my tribe.  

Comments

Popular Posts