The Authenticity Project - A book review




Authenticity project


Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Author: Clare Pooley 


December book read of our book club. 


What if you find someone’s personal diary? How would it make you feel. This is the premise of Authenticity project where others’ authentic stories become a mirror for you to face your own. 


At the surface it seems impossible that one would write your deep down secrets and desires out there for public to read. Then I thought about the book post secret which is all about sharing secrets with strangers. We discussed this concept in our book club and the authenticity was questioned. This book was called more as the lonely project, vulnerability project and what not. We all agreed that sharing secrets is one thing but putting your name and address next to it is not a secret. 


Like usual, I started connecting dots to myself, trying to find if my personal experiences fit into the shoes of these characters. There was a time when I found an old diary in my daughters room hidden behind the drawers in a secret space. It belonged to the previous resident in our house. Page after page of truth, emotions, and turbulence. It belonged to a teenager and reminded me of my own teenage days blurry but real. I wondered what some of her quotes or lines meant. I saw in awe at her beautiful sketches, drawings and poetry. Without ever seeing that little girl I built an emotional connect. One day I will find that girl and return her that book but till then it stays with me as a keepsake. 


Another time during my own teens, a friend had given me her own diary for safe guarding. It had poetry and writings of her boy friend for her and she didn’t want it to be found by her parents. It stayed with me for years like a well guarded secret (hidden from my own mother). Later the girl married the same boy and I presented this diary to them to remember their whirlwind romance. 


These incidents make me believe that we can inspire others with our stories. It’s no different from the human libraries they talk of where one can ask people to tell their stories instead of books. Telling our secrets is a process of accepting and healing. A way to manifest closure with the universe. 


Recently the feel good genre has got a boost after books like Fredrick Backman and Jonas Jonasson. Or probably after the intensity of global pandemic, wars, terrorism and the mental health awareness. In fact at some points the book seemed similar to ‘A man called Ove’ but with a green book at the center. Similar type of feel good story where strangers come together for a lonely old man. In fact we all agreed that this could easily be a movie or a TV series and imagined who could play the lead characters. At places the other protagonist Monica seems like her namesake from Friends except she has no friends before the green book lands at her cafe. Her life logo - ‘Preparation is the key to effective spontaneity.’











It’s not a book that I would keep my book shelf as a collectible but I could recommend if someone is looking for a light feel good read. In fact it was quite perfect as part of last books of the year leaving a nice aftertaste. 


Overall a fun read and the 400 odd pages can be easily finished over quick sittings. I managed to finish the book about half an hour before the book club meet. The book club meeting was equally vibrant and loquacious celebrating the book and the end of year with the same feel good fervor. 









Comments

Popular Posts