Truly Madly Deeply

Well its the month of Valentine's and this book is so written on this subject... the one word that comes to my mind fo rthis book is.. ENDEARING.

Frankly I am not too fond of romantic novels, I have never and here I stress never-ever read a Mills & Boons.. the ones that “all girls” grow up with. All the romantic notions, dreamy encounters, and knights in shining armour for us are based on heavy doses of MBs. So you can imagine my uptake on romantic novels is limited to the only one that I have read and that is - ‘Love Story’ a nice but sad story the others that I have read were so-called Romantic Comedies but more on the lines of Romantic spoofs. So is love only sad or funny of course after discounting dreamy versions of MBs...
When I got a request to read and review this book.. I was curious to read this genre again..Also a new author comes is always a refreshing change with no baggage of other’s opinions.

Truly, as per the brief and initial few pages, I was a little turned off... What I derived was..that it is some teenage lovey dovey story.. a kid thinking of poetry to describe the girl’s beauty and his feelings for her.. hitting a six or scoring high marks in class to impress her.. giving blank calls and keeping down the phone after hearing her mother’s voice... all heart-broken and tired of life with one failed relationship at the age of 15.. all this seemed very mushy, immature and filmy... also though I am not the authority on the language but there were some editing issues too.

Deeply, as the book progressed... I was pulled back to my own school days. The teenage days so fresh, so free, so delicate, so eventful standing at the threshold of adulthood. The age of sweet 16s, when the first crush happens.. sometimes just attraction, for some it turns out love and for some its just a passing phase.. a cute innocent encounter with a boy/ girl your age. You like them for no real reason, would you believe, once I had a crush on a boy who no girl liked because he hardly talked to girls and when he did he was so rude.. well what I reasoned was that I liked his rough attitude...

Madly, all these silly things, instant crushes, stupid gossips, weird reasons, giggling with your hand covering the mouth, making blank calls in the old world of landlines with no caller ids, getting excited about dressing up nicely in casuals for a party – no school dress for a change, watching him play sports and wishing inside that you want them to win, exchanging glances in the class or recess thinking no one will notice, sharing or asking notes from the one even when you don’t really need them ooohhhh the good old school days.. and first crushes.. how I miss them..
Interestingly I have never got 25+ likes for any of my reviews on Good Reads.. even the most sincere and well written ones... I guess this book is catching up with the teenagers... actually that is the target audience... the teenege romance genre...

But it still can be enjoyed by all, as a piece of your own life, a life which seems so silly and so far.. but so close to your heart.. Read it for those days.. I won’t say love but for that first crush...

Wish to Buy Truly Madly Deeply

Comments

  1. Have only hours ago ordered the book,and makes me all the more eager to receive it.Looks like I am gonna connect to this book from my about15-16 years young days. Neat review Neha,keep it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Basil. Like you said you have to be 15-16 to connect to it. Though it does tip off at many places looking bollywoodish and immature writing. Let me know how you felt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts